Photos for January Stones and April PAD 2012 property of M J Dills (exception 1/16)







Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 6, 2016 For today’s prompt, write an ekphrastic poem. An ekphrastic poem is a poem inspired by art.


The piece of art I’ve chosen is 
“If Once You Have Slept On An Island”
 - Jamie Wyeth



Foghorn tells me in early morning hours

I am still here. Its heavy resonance

warns sailors

I sleep here.

I sleep here.

If once you have slept on an island,

the sound of the water beating

the shore makes percussion with

the ceiling fan that

thrums the air, the tinkle of chain

hitting dull light bulb is not unlike

pebbles awash in erosion,

peeling layers of the earth,

one

per every ten thousand years.

Cicadas and other

small

green species,

rubbing legs together or

mating, all through the night.

Wind passing through fronds and branches, boughs and limbs,

singing, moaning, keening.

Sleeping on an island is trapped

like on a boat that

does not move. Every sound reminds me

I am here.

I sleep here.

I wake here.

If the wind blows

over this island, I must cling to it or

perish in an uncaring sea.



...................
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment