Photos for January Stones and April PAD 2012 property of M J Dills (exception 1/16)







Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sight Unseen

This morning I made the decision to switch from Robert Brewer's PAD to NaPoWriMo. This is my fourth year doing April Poetry Challenge and I truly believe it has been highly influential to my growth as a writer. Please enjoy my first entry to NaPoWriMo. The prompt was to write an OXYMORON and with the combination of hearing Birdnote this morning, I present to you The Robin aka Sight Unseen










Sight Unseen




The robin mistakes my kitchen window for a certain path
All but breaking her neck
Slams into glass,
Not a perfect landing
Nor an ideal flight
What she knows
Is some other robin
Identical to her
(But in fact her own reflection)
Attacked and left her for dead
And so she is committed to
Return again
And again
To challenge this other bird
The same image
(But in fact her own reflection)
A continual duel
In my kitchen garden


.

.

2 comments:

  1. Nice poem but poor birdie! We had this happen before and put stickers on our window. That helped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is more than an oxymoron. It is also a metaphor. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete